Types of Prefolds – Indian, European, and Chinese. These refer to the type of material used (Indian vs. Chinese cotton) not necessarily to the style of the diaper. DSQ, on the otherhand denotes a “Diaper Service Quality” diaper.
Newborn – 12 x 16 in (30 x 40 cm) Center: 4 x 16
Medium – 14.5 x 22 in (37 x 56 cm) Center: 5 x 22
Large – 17.5 x 23 in (44.5 x 58.5 cm) Center: 6 x 23
1. Cut 2 large pieces of material and 6 center pieces
2. Straight stitch the 6 center pieces and serge (if desired) around to make center.
3. Place Center piece in center of one large piece and lay the other piece on top
4. Stitch around (and an X in the middle if you want) the center piece to attach it to both pieces
– Pins come in handy at this point to keep both layers in their correct place
5. Hem or serge around the whole diaper.
How are they Used
Types of Folds
1. Lay diaper out flat
2. Place baby on diaper (his spine along the center layers)
3. Twist the bottom edge over once.
4. Bring up and fold down so crease is right under belly-button.
5. Bring in wings from side
6. Pin or Snappi (Snappi works a little better because you don’t have to worry about getting a pin through both layers of the fold).
Newspaper Fold aka Angel Wing
1. Lay diaper out flat.
2. Pull in bottom two corners. (Makes a V or “angel wings”)
3. Place doubler (if using one) and baby on diaper . (baby’s spine along center)
4. Bring bottom up between baby’s legs
5. Bring wings together under baby’s navel.
5. Pin, or snappi. (Some people just put the cover over at this point, but there can be slippage problems)
Newspaper fold 2
This one is for putting inside a cover. Its also how you would fold a small prefold as a doubler.
1. Fold both sides in over center.
2. Place baby on diaper lengthwise (back lining up with navel)
3. Fold down whatever portion in front is over navel, (put folded portion against baby’s skin)
4. Put baby and diaper in cover.