How are they Used?
Like sewing all fitted diapers, you also have to contend with Elastic, which, to a novice, can be a daunting task. When I started making cloth, I’d never used Elastic before, and by the third diaper, I was sewing like an expert. I could hand-sew elastic and machine sew the elastic though my fingers much preferred the use of my mother’s battered machine (I really need to get one of my own).
1. Cut out all your pieces
– 4 main body pieces (one PUL)
– 6-8 pieces for the Insert
– Velcro Tabs and Connection Piece
– Don’t cut the Elastic at this point, its easier to stretch if it remains one long strip
2. Sew the body pieces together two at a time. Sew wrongside out, flip, then close the small end with an over-stitch or a zig-zag.
3. Attach the Velcro.
– Sew Hook pieces to back-side of the body-piece without PUL making it so the hooks will face the inside of the diaper when closed (sew it on hook-side down)
– Sew loop piece to the front-outside.
4. Sew two sides together with elastic in the middle (make sure to enclose the elastic).
INSERT: Sew all of them together wrong side out, flip and overstitch. I chose to do these by hand because my machine wouldn’t go through all eight layers of material.